I must admit that with daylight savings and the super-long days in quarantine, I’ve been baking like a madwoman. Pies, cookies, loaf cakes, you name it, I’ve made it.
Yet, there’s something about breads that just doesn’t entice me. I can certainly attribute it to my Type-A, impatient personality that simply cannot endure the dough rising, or proofing. But it also has to do with the uncertainty that surrounds the sourdough loaves that seem to be proliferating into every household during this incumbent lockdown.
Imagine this, you spend hours and hours fighting amongst housewives at your local supermarket – timing your arrival as to when you predict they’ll restock the baking aisle, before elbowing and shoving your way to the last packets of yeast – before waiting a whole evening for your bread to rise and then when you finally bake it the next morning, it’s a mess! THE UNCERTAINTY! I simply cannot bring myself to endure it.
So, I delved into developing a bagel recipe without the yeast, without the waiting, and with so few ingredients that you can count them on your left hand. Plus, these delicious bagels can be made with plain or vanilla greek yogurt. Just be sure that it’s greek as regular yogurt is too watery.
Here it is, the easiest, most delicious bagel recipe in the entire world.
Now, the Everything Bagel was my Everest, terrifying and insurmountable. But take a look at these pictures and tell me you don’t want to snatch them through the screen.
I’ve made 3 batches in the last 12 hours. 1 batch Everything, 2 batches Cranberry Walnut. And let me tell you, this recipe is the perfect canvas for everything delicious and anything you want to put on your bagel.
So, go ahead! Go wild! Just be sure to send me pics!!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (½ teaspoon for regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla, pour out excess fluid)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Filling (optional)
- chocolate chips, blueberries, cranberries & walnuts
- Seasoning (optional)
- everything bagel seasoning
- Set the oven to 385°F (195°C) & place wax paper on a baking tray
- Using a fork, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, vinegar & baking soda (the vinegar will cause the baking soda to fizz and that’s ok!)
- Drain any excess liquid in your yogurt before adding to the dry ingredients to form a dough
- Add your desired filling (cinnamon & raisin, blueberries, chocolate chips, cranberries & walnuts)
- On a floured surface, knead the dough with wet hands and add more flour until it forms a thick dough that is still a little tacky (keep a close eye, and make sure the dough doesn’t stick to your hands too much)
- Split dough into 4 quarters and roll into long sausage-like rolls before joining the ends to form bagels
- Place on prepared tray and egg wash the bagels before sprinkling any desired topping
- Bake for 35 minutes or until fully browned