I made this tiramisu (for the first time!) for my dear mother on Mother’s Day. I’ve always been fascinated with the texture of it and how the simple dessert varies quite drastically between different Italian restaurants. Tiramisu has been one of my favourite desserts for quite some time so I am so pleased that I finally had the chance to make my own.
I must also apologise for the difference in photographs, one was taken on an iPhone and the other with no natural lighting on a camera! I would have used the camera to photograph slices too but.. I was too busy eating them.
It probably looks like I sprinkled way too much cocoa powder on top, but I refrained from sprinkling it through the layers and sprinkled lots just before serving. I found that by doing this the cocoa doesn’t melt into the cream and you get the chocolate and coffee flavours more intensely by separating them. I used freshly brewed espresso and found it magical hot coffee is divine!
Refrigerating times have long been debated but I think overnight is just perfect. Whenever tiramisu isn’t being consumed (ie. never) it must go in the refrigerator to preserve the mascarpone. Refrigerated it can also keep for up to a week. It’s really one of those desserts that gets better over time as the flavours become richer (yay!). Enjoy this super simple, unbelievably delicious recipe!
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 75 g caster sugar
- 500 g mascarpone
- 400ml espresso (2 coffee cups)
- 24 savoiardi biscuits (lady fingers)
- Cocoa powder
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture doubles in volume and is pale in colour
- Whisk in the mascarpone spoonfuls at a time and ensure there are no lumps
- Using a metal spoon gently fold in the egg whites
- Dip each biscuit into the coffee only for a second before lining the bottom of a glass/pyrex dish
- Spoon a third of the cream on top of the biscuits
- Repeat until the dish is filled with cream as the last layer
- Refrigerate overnight or for several hours
- Sprinkle with cocoa just before serving